UCSB EAP Economics Students
(UCSB economics students visiting another country)
Congratulations on your forthcoming studies abroad! I hope you enjoy your host country and your courses.
The economics department strongly suggests you receive approval for courses right before you begin your studies abroad. This ensures the courses are eligible for credit in the economics department. If you are applying to the EAP program, this information does not apply to you. Instead please see this webpage. If you have been accepted into the EAP program and are seeking pre-approval, or if you have already completed your courses and wish to receive credit, please follow the directions below.
Evaluating and Approving courses for EAP
OPTION 1: classes currently or prior approved, see potential pre-approved list. On this webpage, click the link "Previously-approved Economics courses at the following EAP programs…" Please do not assume you have approval for these courses. You must contact Cindy Benelli for formal approval.
1. Complete the first four columns of the following form, EAP course approval request, and
2. Email the form to email@example.com .
3. I will email your approvals and will contact the economics office with your approvals. When you return, the approvals can easily be found and processed by the economics undergraduate office.
OPTION 2: classes not on the potential pre-approved list.
1. Complete the following form, EAP course approval request, and
2. In column one, enter the other university class code. See https://myeap.eap.ucop.edu/Galileo/service/coursecatalog/Coursecatalog.aspx Find your school, and look at column eight.
3. In column two, enter the EAP course number. Use the link above, the EAP course number is the fourth column under "num" for number. Please note, if the course is numbered less than 100, it will not be approved for economics upper division credit. Courses for potential economics credit must be numbered 100 or greater.
4. In column three, enter "NA".
5. In column four, enter the class name and links for the class (EAP class description link, syllabus, online descriptions, and/or course website),
6. Email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org .
7. I will email your approvals and will contact the economics office with your approvals. When you return, the approvals can easily be found and processed by the economics undergraduate office..
OPTION 3: non-EAP school or non-EAP program.
Follow the steps under option 2 but skip directions. However, you should skip the EAP numbers since your program will not have EAP numbers!
Please note, requests can take up to five business days or longer if your request is sent during midterms/finals/holidays/breaks. Requests made during Christmas and spring break will not be processed until the first week after the break is over. Additional time may be necessary for accounting classes and for requests made during the summer.
What to do when you return to UCSB
You must complete this final step to complete EAP course credit for your Economics degree.
When your grades post to GOLD, see an economics undergrad advisor in NH 2121. They will verify your pre-approvals against your courses on GOLD. You do not need pre-approval paperwork since the economics undergrad office has that information on file. During your meeting or shortly thereafter, the economics undergrad office will process your EAP units for credit towards your economics degree. Your courses will not count within the economics major until you complete this final step.
Questions? See webpage, most frequently asked questions.
Department of Economics
2127 North Hall
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9210