How do I petition classes to count for my major?
In order for your classes abroad to count for your major requirements, you must ask for formal approval from the Economics Department. This is separate from your Academic Planning form. Please follow the directions below after you have been accepted into your program. Please keep in mind there are two parts to getting classes approved: first you must get the courses you plan to take evaluated to see if they will count for your major, and then you must notify the department once your grades are posted so we can petition for them to be applied to your major!
Evaluating and approving courses for EAP
Option 1: If you chose classes from a potential pre-approved list:
- Complete the first four columns of the following form, EAP course approval request
- Email* the form to firstname.lastname@example.org . In your email, please let her know your courses were on the pre-approved list.
- She will respond with formal approval. This will then be filed with the Economics Undergraduate Office. Once your grades are on GOLD, please come into the Undergraduate Office or email us at email@example.com to let us know your grades have shown up on GOLD so we can officially petition the courses for you.
Option 2: Classes are not on the pre-approved list.
- Complete the following form, EAP course approval request, and
- In column one, enter the other university’s class code. See https://myeap.eap.ucop.edu/Galileo/service/coursecatalog/Coursecatalog.aspx Find your school, and look at column eight.
- In column two, enter the EAP course number. Using the link above, the EAP course number is the fourth column under "num" for number. Please note, if the course is numbered less than 100, it will not be approved for economics upper-division credit. Courses for potential economics credit must be numbered 100 or greater.
- In column three enter "NA".
- In column four, enter the class name and links for the class (EAP class description link, syllabus, online descriptions, and/or course website),
- Email* the form to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- She will respond with formal approval. This will then be filed with the Economics Undergraduate Office. Once your grades are on GOLD, please come into the Undergraduate Office or email us at email@example.com to let us know you’re the grades have shown up on GOLD so we can officially petition the courses for you.
Option 3: non-EAP school or program.
From option 2: follow all steps but do not include EAP numbers since your program will not have EAP numbers!
* If you wish, you can print all forms and drop them off at 2121 North Hall: Attention Cindy Benelli (ask them to place the paperwork in her mail-box.)
Please note, requests can take up to five business days or longer if your request is sent during midterms/finals/holidays/breaks. Requests made during winter and spring break will not be processed until the first week after the break is over. Additional time may be necessary for accounting classes and for requests made during the summer.
What to do when you return to UCSB
You must complete this step to complete EAP course credit for your Economics degree.
See an economics undergrad advisor in 2121 North Hall when your grades post to GOLD. They will verify your pre-approvals against your courses on GOLD. Your classes will not be applied to your major until you’ve requested an undergraduate advisor confirm your grades.
A note about EAP and graduation requirements
All prospective EAP applicants, particularly students who intend to study abroad during their senior year, should consult with the College of Letters & Science Advising Office in 1117 Cheadle Hall for information on the university residency requirement.